Sunday, July 3, 2011

on records, timing, and sounds

Let me set the mood for this entry.  It is 5 minutes to 2am.  What should have been a smooth, routine middle of the night feeding has lasted just shy of 90 minutes and was entirely too memorable.  The fact that the fancier bottles that we have spilled about as much milk onto the kids as they did into them will be left aside - I will readily admit that was my fault, one way or another.  What was fun was that Zev and Ben decided to set new records (or at least match personal best) in pooping (Ben) and vomiting (Zev) - at the same time.  Of course, they did so after feeding, changing (diapers and suits), and balm application to butts.  In the process Ben managed to actually deposit poop on Alla's shirt and pants (small but observable amounts) and Zev dropped upwards of two ounces onto the suit I had just zipped him into (recall, changing is one thing our boys dislike the most, due to the stage of the undress in the midst of it).
With grim determination and indistinct, yet unprintable, muttering on my part and gentleness (OK, maybe a little less sweet than usual) on Alla's, we set about cleaning up Benjamin, while Zev awaited his turn.  Few minutes later, both disaster areas were clean, swaddled, and put down to nap.

So, in this somewhat less than romantic mood let me tell you about sounds.  I remember reading somewhere about babies "cooing gently".  Having spent nearly every waking minute of the last four weeks next to two babies, I can assure you: babies don't "coo".  At least ours don't.  They do make an impressive array of sounds, from whimpering to whining to groaning, to an ear-splitting, physical-pain-inducing scream, as of a couple of days ago.  While I am happy my sons are developing and exercising their lungs, the toll on my well being (and possibly, that of the neighborhood) while I change them is substantial.  I believe our nanny told us recently that Zev got into a screaming contest with the neighbor's hound the other day.  The contest was declared a draw, with each participant removed into respective corners.  Zev for feeding and massage, the hound for repeated house training and therapy.

With this I bid everyone good night, uninterrupted sleep, and dreams filled with fragrant flowers and peaceful, quite meadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment