Monday, August 13, 2012

less red, more itchy

The day after the redness showed up my parents provided caution as to what was to come and offered advice on combating itchiness of the receding hives.  Naturally, since the doctor did not recommend any sort of ointment to us, we assumed the itchy hives did not apply to modern US babies.  Later same night we were, once again, reminded that the basic design of a baby is the same, regardless of country of manufacture.  In other words, we were wrong, my parents were right.  And boy, were they...

All of Ben was itching.  Badly.  The night was basically a blur, with Benjamin sleeping in his bed (hardly), not sleeping in his bed, sleeping on top of Alla, not sleeping in bed with us (mostly).  Around 5 am Alla gave up and went downstairs with him.  Zev slept late and had to be woken up around 7 am.  Left to his own devices he would have slept more, making up for the crummy night his brother treated him to.

The next night Ben slept, but Zev woke up a quarter to 6.  My turn.  Another slightly zombified day, followed by another short-ish night.  Honestly, it blurs a bit at this point.  I do recall that Alla has taken the morning shift on at least two occasions, for which I am dramatically grateful.  Interestingly, once both boys are awake, things are better and even Ben is everyday slightly less red and slightly less itchy.  The itch returns  in the evening, promising adventures each night.  We continue to give Benjamin the aptly name Benya-dryl.  Ben, on the other hand, has just about had enough of pink substances administered via a plastic syringe.  This morning he, as usual, shook his had vigorously at the sight of the thing and cried when I got hold of his head. Alla took over and in one fluid motion squirted the entire dose (all of 3.75 ml) into Ben's mouth, resulting in a Benadryl geyser.  I refilled and went back to the "one drop at a time" approach.  I could have sword Ben saw me, stopped fighting, calmly let me drop some in his mouth and blew a raspberry.  Then again.  I gave up and went to work.

In the evening I knew we had no choice, so down the gullet the meds went.  At this point the kids are asleep, so is Alla (no idea how she lasted today - I know I struggled to 6 pm) and shall follow suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment