Monday, December 26, 2011

A brief update

I think it has been around two days since the last post.  Two nights at least.  The day (or day) have been more or less OK, with more fussing from Zev than usual, but definitely manageable with the four of us here.  The boys continue to sleep well during walks.  The two nights, however, have been significantly worse than normal.  Zev woke up several times, screaming his head off, and would not be placated by being fed or carried around.

The first of the two nights, after some long pacing around in the room (during which he yelled periodically), we gave up and moved Zev downstairs.  This was done to allow Ben some sleep.  The kid has been showing some angelic patience, sleeping though several hours of whining not four feet from him.  When I made yet another attempt to put Zev down in his bed - which produced full on screaming - Ben woke up and yelled himself.  Zev finished the night downstairs, with Alla and my parents taking shifts sleeping on the couch next to him.

The second night we were resolved to make Zev sleep in his bed.  At first, after the 7 pm feeding things seemed to going well.  By "well" I mean that Zev had two bouts of yelling and I was able to keep anyone from going in, and Zev piped down on his own.  Third time (all within an hour and a half) Alla went in, and I was lectured extensively on the how rules of sleep training do not apply to a sick child.  A lovely family discussion followed and the night went downhill from there.  Zev woke up screaming at few times.  Either the first or second of those found me walking with him, and walking quickly out of the room to give the ever-patient Ben a chance to sleep.  After the screaming stopped being continuous - that is to say there we occasional ten second pauses in it - I gave Zev back to mom.  Good timing, too, as I was reaching boiling point.  It was all very impressive, really, as it was only a quarter past eleven.  I remember waking up a handful more times.  One to keep my parents out of the room - on Alla's orders - to let Zev cry it out, as he was merely whining, not yelling full throttle.  A couple of pacifier insertions for Ben.  A couple of times I saw Alla dart out of the room.  I also recall hearing Alla say "I don't know what to do" several times.

All in all, the last two days we have been living inside a contraceptive commercial.

The posting of cute happy pictures will resume soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment